Among the rising concerns about the negative impact of social media on people’s mental health, Meta finally announced that Instagram users can now hide the number of likes on their posts as well as other users’ content after weeks of testing the feature.
This change was made to “remove pressure” and encourage people to focus more on sharing quality content instead of worrying about the number of likes their posts get and constantly comparing it to the engagement on other users’ posts.
Not all users may have access to the new feature yet, but if you do, read the step-by-step guide on how to hide likes on Instagram below.
How to Hide Likes on Instagram on Android and iOS Phones
Hide Likes on a Single Post
When creating a new post, you can hide the like count before it goes live by following the steps below:
1. On the screen where you add a caption for the new post, click on Advanced Settings at the bottom.
2. Turn on the toggle for Hide Like and View Counts on this post.
3. Go back and hit Share to post your photo or video without the total likes count.
For a post that you’ve already posted, you can hide the like count by following the steps below:
1. Open the post and click the three-dot icon in the top right corner.
2. Select Hide Like Count, and it’s done!
Hide Likes on Other Users’ Posts
If you don’t wish to see the number of likes on posts that appear on your feed or when browsing other accounts, follow the steps below.
1. Open your Instagram profile and tap on the hamburger icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Select Privacy > Posts.
4. Turn on the toggle for Hide Like and View Counts.
You’ll no longer see the total number of likes on any post from other users.
It’ll now say Liked by XYZ and others.
Remember, hiding likes on Instagram is NOT a permanent change.
You can reverse it by simply turning the toggle off.
Also remember, there’s much more to posting content on Instagram than getting likes and comparing your posts’ engagement with that of other accounts.
Even with the likes count turned off, you can use the platform to connect with like-minded people, share your talents, and build an engaging community.
Ivan is a professional advertiser and digital content marketer. Here are some famous brands he’s worked with.
When he’s not running ad campaigns, Ivan is helping people get more customers with free ai-powered interactive chatbots (i.e., virtual assistants for your website that turn prospects into paying customers).